Thursday, April 21, 2005

Mmmmm.... Matzah......

After a stressful week, I am off to Montreal to spend Pesach (Passover) with my family. All my siblings will be home, and I can't wait to spend time with my niece and nephews. Pesach was my favorite holiday growing up. I didn't miss the bread, and I liked the different foods made with matzah and eating off of different dishes. My best memories of Pesach though are from the years we spent the holiday at the Concord, a resort hotel in the Catskills. That place was like a city! You did not have to leave the building the enitre eight days. There was so much to do- indoor swimming pool and skating rink (outdoor too but only in season), huge arcade (Dragon's Lair and Marble Madness), ping pong, tennis courts, boxing ring (I would have loved that today!), shows every night, disco- there was an artist in one of the lobbies painting portraits, and a photographer going aroung taking pictures to put in those little peep-hole keychains. Most importantly, though, the food was awesome-every night there was steak or roast beef, and the desserts were amazing- you would never be able to tell the cake was kosher for Passover.

Once the oldest of us started college and no longer had vacation for the whole holiday, we stopped going. The Concord hotel has since shut down. My grandparents still go with my uncle, aunt, and cousins to another hotel in the Catskills, but they'll admit it's not the same. These days, most families go jet-setting on some exotic Passover getaway. I wish we could go back to the good ole' days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home