Friday, May 20, 2005

To the Happy Couple

There are a few things I don't understand about couples who are getting married. Like why they expect to be lavished with praise and attention by friends and family when they should be giving those things to each other. And why they should make their parties and even the wedding itself at the most inconvenient times, like smack in the middle of a Sunday or on a holiday weekend, yet still expect you to be there. And why they expect you to buy them fancy gifts, when they could have forgone the shmancy reception and could have used the money they saved to buy their own damn china. Shouldn't weddings be about love and starting a life together, rather than being the stars of a show?

7 Comments:

Blogger JimC said...

Yikes... Not sure where to begin with this one. First, I don't think it is fair to say most couples "expect" to be lavished with praise and attention. I think a lot of this has to do with traditions (not sure where they came from). Before I got married, I always joked that the wedding was my wife's day, and she would always argue that no, it was "our" day. It reminds me of a comedian I heard once you joked that the best man and groom are both wearing tuxes because if something happened to the groom, he could be replaced with the best man with no one noticing. In any case, a wedding is supposed to be a celebration of their love, not expectations of gifts (although I know of cases where it was all about the gifts - but they are a-holes). :-) Most women think about this day from when they were little girls, marrying Prince Charming (I blame Disney... The boys are out eating dirt). So usually they have the big expectations of what the day will be like, with the doves and carriage and whatnot. Most guys would be happy going to Vegas.

To tell you the truth - I remember the people that were at my wedding, but I couldn't tell you what they gave as gifts. And did I feel like the "star" of the show? No. More like the guy throwing a kick-ass party (who just happened to have had to pose for pictures).

Jim

5/20/2005 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your attitude. Will you marry me?

5/25/2005 5:06 PM  
Blogger LizeCR said...

If you're a guy, I'll consider it. How do you feel about getting married on a beach?

5/25/2005 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it. As long as you get your hair done in cornrows and come out of the ocean like Bo Derek in 10.

5/25/2005 10:32 PM  
Blogger LizeCR said...

Not so sure the rabbi would approve of the bathing suit. We'll have to modify a bit.

5/25/2005 10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess the cornrow sheitel will have to suffice.

5/26/2005 11:19 AM  
Blogger LizeCR said...

Aha! So now I know you're Jewish, with possibly even an orthodox background. I am so curious...

5/26/2005 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home